Sunday, 2 June 2013

MEGA REVIEW: EOS Lip Balms (Strawberry Sorbet, Summer Fruits, Honeysuckle Honeydew, Sweet Mint, Passion Fruit and Lemon Drop)

Ermahgerd - having wi-fi problems has been a nuisance because I've not been able to post as much as I'd like. Hopefully, that's been resolved now, so on to the reviews!

EOS Lip Balm spheres been much-hyped for some time now, which has sadly pushed the price up on eBay.

EOS Lip Balms

I was keen to give these a try, as they look like they could be a serious contender for my beloved Vaseline. They also look really purty ^_^

Clockwise from top: Summer Fruits (red),
Lemon Drop (yellow), Honeysuckle
Honeydew (green), Sweet Mint (blue),
Passion Fruit (purple), Strawberry
Sorbet (pink)

My parents were recently on holiday in the States and hauled these back for me. They got the multi-pack of 5 (Strawberry Sorbet, Summer Fruits, Honeysuckle Honeydew, Sweet Mint and Passion Fruit), and a single pack of Lemon Drop.

Multipack and solo Lemon Drop

PACKAGING:

These lips balms come in matte-rubber spheres the size of ping pong balls. The top half twists off easily enough to reveal a quail egg-sized dome of lip balm.
 
Honeysuckle Honeydew, opened

I must say that the packaging is very unique as most lipbalms come in tubes or tins. The great thing about these is that you don't need fingers to apply, which is a plus for hygiene freaks like myself. They also come in super cute pastel colours to match what flavour they come in.
 
EOS Lip Balms, opened

The matte rubber balls are wonderfully tactile, so you can easily fish this out from the bottom of your bag by touch alone. The downside is that the matte rubber finish scuffs easily and seems a magnet for bottom-of-your-handbag fluff. It's also not pocketable, unless you're happy wearing a bulge by your hip.

The bottom is levelled off so it won't roll around on your table, but that's only if you set it down properly. Being my usual clumsy self I once didn't set it down properly and my lip sphere ended up rolling around on its side in a circle, with the lipbalm collecting all manner of table dirt T_T.

I'm also paranoid that I'll catch the dome of lip balm on the lid when I screw it back on, as the domes do protrude out a bit.

Strawberry Sorbet

The packaging is certainly unique and eye-catching but not as practical as I'd like.

PRODUCT:

These balms are solid-types, similar to what you'd find in a tube. They have a slightly waxier texture than Vaseline, and have a matte finish. I found Lemon Drop has the waxiest texture, possibly because it's the only one with SPF.

Lemon Drop

They've been billed as 95% organic, 100% natural, paraben-free and has lots of Vitamin E. Lemon Drop has a respectable SPF15, and I understand there's an orange Mandarin one which is anti-bacterial.

Blurb for Lemon Drop

These would be great as a primer for lipsticks, but I don't think they absorb into my lips as quickly as Vaseline does because of it's waxy texture, but that does mean it lasts longer so I don't need to re-apply as often.

Multi-pack

Blurb for Multi-pack

The balms come in different flavours and smell correspondingly. I was originally coveting Strawberry Sorbet and the Summer Fruits one, but actually I think they smell very similar (Strawberry Sorbet having marginally sharper citrus notes) but both smelt overpoweringly of 'Barbie doll plastic' to my nose.

This is a shame.

However, my favourites were surprisingly Lemondrop, Sweet Mint and Honeysuckle Honeydew.

My order of preference is as follows:

L-R: 1st: Lemon Drop, 2nd: Honeysuckle Honeydew,
3rd: Sweet Mint, Joint 4th: Strawberry Sorbet,
Summer Fruits, Passion Fruit 

As Lemondrop has an additional SPF15, it didn't come in the multi-pack, which is perhaps why it's the only one with the product label on the bottom.

These won't take the 'best lipbalm' crown, but they're a worthy contender for second place.


POINTS: 7/10

The multi-pack of 5 balm spheres costs around US$12 from Costco, and Lemon Drop costs US$3 from Walmart. I am not affililiated with any of these companies.

EOS Pyramid

B
Xoxo

3 comments:

Carrie Snyder said...

Buy Buddha Balm lip balm if you can find it (I bought mine online). Buddha Balm is superior to EOS is all ways. Better flavor and coverage on the lips.

Miss Bojangles said...

Hi Carrie! Thanks for the tip - will check it out ^_^
xoxo

Joyce er said...

I bought the Strawberry sorbet and blueberry acai one too and I love it!

Post a Comment

Please comment here! ~♥